Friday, October 07, 2005

 

Reflections and Thanks


I wanted to take a minute to reflect on our hospital stay for this surgery.

I was so pleased with Sophia's recovery. She is so strong.

When she came out of surgery the Monday before last, we were sure we were in for a really long stay. When the surgeon told us about the small pulmonary vessels that prevented the VSD closure, we were sure it would be a really scary stay as well.

Fortunately, though it was scary for the first few days, things progressed really quickly. And what was most encouraging was the forward momentum of Sophia's recovery. As anyone who has experienced something like this knows, it is the set-backs that are crushing.

We knew going in that this was going to be a difficult surgery and maybe we were a little more prepared than before. In fact I am sure we were. Since, the last surgery was an emergency surgery.

The hospital staff were really great this time too.

I want to thank Sophia's surgeon for the amazing work he does. It is difficult for me to understand the skill and knowledge necessary to complete surgeries that seem nothing less than miraculous. I would also like to thank the cardio-vascular surgery team. The nurse practitioners were so kind to us and always made sure our concerns were answered and Sophia was taken care of in every way.

And I really have to thank the staff of the PICU. The doctors there were outstanding and work some small miracles of their own.

Mostly, I have to thank the nurses, particularly the PICU nurses. They are the frontline when it comes to Sophia's care. And they in many ways are responsible for the great recovery Sophia is making.

I would also like to thank the CHD families group. I wish we had known of this group sooner. There support was invaluable. They brought Sophia a blanket and they brought us a meal. And Patty and I look forward to participating in this group in the future.

In addition, I have to thank the family and friends that extended themselves to lend us a much needed hand in this difficult situation. Everyone went way beyond what we could have ever asked for with caring for our pets and home, as well as, bringing us meals and offering emotional support.

Before Sophia was born Patty and I had many aspirations for her. But foremost was the wish that she be wise and inspire those who meet her to be more compassionate. We, of course, had no idea that she would face the challenges she does now. But, she has exceeded our every aspiration. Everyone that encounters her is changed by the experience. I do not know the way in which this occurs. But it is my belief that it has something to do with her strength and spirit. And though we have many challenges yet to face regarding her health, I am sure she will make the world a better place by inspiring all that meet her to find the good in themselves and the world. We couldn't ask for anything more.

Thanks again to all that helped us through this difficult time.

-Michael
Comments:
thank you for sharing this most intimate time with us.
 
I hear from Mike and Patty everyday, but I can't visit my precious dolly, I have the flu and must keep my germs away from my sweet Sophia. I stay at home and buy her lots of cute outfits on ebay and pray for her ongoing recovery and my mine also. Maybe by Thursday I can go to see her.
She is talking and playing and seems to feel much better.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

website free tracking