Sunday, October 30, 2005

 

Sophia's First Birthday Party


Sophia had a great birthday party.
We had tons of guests and a really good time.
The theme was hearts for obvious reasons. We had lots of heart-shaped snacks and covered the house with construction paper hearts and balloons.
Thanks to all the friends and family that helped us pull this off. It ended up being a pretty substantial undertaking and we could not have done it without the help of our wonderful family and friends.
Thanks also to all those that attended. Sophia had a great time and will really enjoy all the gifts she received.
It is pretty incredible to reflect on Sophia's first year. I am sure that is true of any baby. But, Sophia has had a whopper of a year. When Sophia was born I could never have imagined she would have had two heart surgeries, a g-tube surgery, and countless doctor and therapy appointments to deal with things as normal as a cold and as complex as not being able to eat orally. I am not sure I had any notion of what it would be like to be a father. But, I remember being pretty terrified of the prospect of caring for a little person whose every need we would be responsible for. I wasn't sure how we would manage on almost every level.
When we found out about Sophia's heart problem I was even more scared. But with each new challenge that has presented itself, we have taken a deep breath and dealt with it as best we were able. And frankly, Sophia has taught us how to accept the challenges she faces by facing them herself with such strength and grace. She is such an amazing girl.
Reflecting on the year, I am no longer scared the way I was in the beginning. I am instead inspired by the difference such a small little girl can make in an incredibly complicated and cold world. The boundless love and strength she exudes inspires me to not just be a good dad, but to do all I can to realize my potential as a human being. She reminds me that the opportunity to reach that potential should not be taken for granted.
A huge thank you to all who have made this first year in Sophia's life possible. I hope she has inspired you the way she has us.
-Michael
Comments:
What a nice happy story! Good to see someone blogging not with their head up their own arse / due to depression. Happy birthday to Sophia and good luck! She's very cute and looks like she already knows how to handle a cake; an important life skill if ever I saw one.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

website free tracking