Wednesday, April 05, 2006

 

Paranoia


I was reading a post today on novasheart.blogspot.com about worry and heart kid's health. I started to post a comment, but as it grew, I thought I should post it here instead.

Worry seems to be a natural part of being a parent. And when your child has a severe heart condition that worry can become exponential. But all parents know, you can instinctively tell when something isn't right with your child. And we have been advised by Sophia's doctors to trust our instincts. The thing is. When you spend long stretches in the hospital with monitors for every aspect of your child's health, there can develop a concern born of the little fluctuations in this number or that level. But it has been our experience, these details are less important in the broader picture.

We know Sophia's oxygen saturation levels fluctuate. There are times her nail beds are a little blue and her extremities are colder than they should be. There are times she is warm and pink (..let's say pinkish). But what is important is that we know what is normal "for her". We know when she cries the little vein on the side of her nose is going to turn blue and her lips are going to get a little deeper in hue. We know when things are "normal" and we know when they are not. If they are not we call the doctor.

Sophia has had a cough for 6 weeks now. Our instinct is to blame it on the fact that she is cutting several teeth and the combo of extra drool and her swallowing dysfunction makes her cough. The pediatrician says, it is a stubborn virus. But, they are trained to not blame anything on teething. The point is, it's just a cough. Somehow you just know. Of course there are cardiac concerns, but you know what is normal and what is not.

The thing you learn right away is that the doctors will trust you to tell them when something is wrong. The first thing that happens when you go to the emergency room for the flu or something, is they hook up the oxygen sat monitor and immediately this panic rushes across their face. That is when you step in, before they grab the crash cart, and say that's normal for her. Then they all relax and proceed as though that number were "normal".

We had the option of taking all kinds of monitors home with us when we were discharged from the hospital. We refused to take them. We were such slaves to those monitors while we were in the hospital the last thing we wanted was to be slaves to them at home. This was a very personal choice and for some parents the monitors are reassuring.

Erin, with all your experience as a mother, you will be fine. The connection we have with our children that makes us feel the things they feel, the one that makes it so painful to see them suffer or in pain, has a real purpose. We feel when things aren't right. We know when our child is in danger. As long as we don't run from our responsibility to feel that connection, we will always know what to do. Like you said in a previous post, with long hospital stays, you begin to wonder if you can care for your child, since it takes a whole team to do it in the hospital (or something like that). It is my opinion, it is the environment that causes the lack of confidence. Obviously as parents, we don't know how to perform, or sometimes even understand, all the medical procedures. But once home, its less about medical procedures and more about family responsibilities. These are, of course, no easier than medical procedures. But at least we somehow know what to do.

Any comments from other parents of heart kids or any parents for that matter would be greatly appreciated.
Comments:
Michael, this was great. Sometimes I lack confidence in myself now being able to tell when something is wrong because of our experience with Jacob. I keep asking myself over time, "did I miss something? Should I have reacted sooner?" And I get a little afraid of clogged judgement or something. I tend to underreact rather than overreact and then I worry I'm not acting fast enough, etc.

I say this because your post helped me realize that asking questions and expressing worries are ok and good, and that we really do know what is best for our children and normal for them. In essance it has helped re-install some of my lost confidence. Thank you. :)
 
I am glad it helped. Don't you think the lack of confidence is just a general parenting thing and not necessarily related to CHDs?
I think when you have a child with a CHD, it raises the stakes a little. I find I cannot take for granted the health and well being of Sophia the way many of the people I know do with there healthy children.
I guess it narrows the margin of error a little. But, ultimately makes us wiser to the realities of parenting.
 
I remember being quite afraid to take Joseph home. What if he started to go downhill and I didn't notice? A friend of mine who is a pediatric encology nurse said,"Christine, the thing about children is that when they're not well, they present not well." She assured me that indeed, I wouldn't fail to notice if something were to go wrong. This helped me a lot. I wouldn't say that I didn't listen for his breathing numerous times each night, but it helped ease my fears considerably:).
 
As a parent of a non-heart child I can say that knowing when your isn't perfect but still ok is a natural parenting instinct. Every morning Shawn wakes up coughing, its pretty much how we know he has woken up many days. Once we suction his nose though it mostly goes away. It has become a ritual and if we don't do it soon enough he points at the suctioner and makes the noise it makes (it's sort of cute). He also has an almost constant runny nose which our doctor said we could treat with Claritin, which we bought have decided against using, because he doesn't seemed too bothered by his snot (except in the mornings), so we won't either. Of course these are nowhere close to the condition you and Sophia deal with, but every child has their irks and as parents we recognize normal and deal with our children's imperfections. I can totally understand your not wanting the monitors, I don't think I would either. I think you and Patty are great parents. I share many of your feelings about worrying, but also about 'knowing' your child, it just goes with the territory of loving someone more than anything else in the world.
 
Yes, I think it definitely can be because it is largely based on the experiences of the parent. I wouldn't question my judgement if it had been aparant at birth that something was wrong. I only question now because we didn't find out about it until he was 10 days old and very nearly died. So now I get a little more paranoid than some, not that I won't notice, necesarrily, but that I won't notice soon enough.

And, it definitely makes us wiser to the realities of parenting. I feel like I had been living in a little bubble until Jacob was born, my other kids had nothing more than an ear infection. I am amazed at all the things I have learned, etc. And it makes life seem a little more real. Does that make any sense? (I think I am rambling, sorry)
 
Thanks for your comment on Evan's blog! I'm all new at this but have been inspired by Sophia's and Nova's blog to do one for our Evan. I don't mind at all for you to have a link to Evan's blog here. If you don't mind I'll also put a link for Sophia on ours. Thanks again and I look forward to receiving some insight from yourself and other heart families.
evanbraveheart.blogspot.com
 
I have been trusted with Sophia's care many times and find that I worry about the little things and like you parents I fear that all symtoms indicate some really bad thing. A blotch on her face or dark circles under her eyes scare me and Patty says "Oh thats normal for her" and I know my daughter in law knows her child, she spends every minute with her and acts automatically to remedy anything out of the ordinary with Sophia, in my estimation Patty is the best Mother I have ever had the pleasure to witness, She fell into her role as caretaker and I don't think she has ever made a mistake, I love and admire Michael and Patty, Sophia is blessed with the most conscientous parents alive..
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

website free tracking