Wednesday, April 19, 2006

 

Worry? Or Just Coming To Terms With Impermanence?


I find myself lately drifting into a sort of mourning. I feel these thoughts a little bit misplaced. After all, Sophia is doing just fine at the moment. I really shouldn't let the first analysis of the cath have such a strong effect on me.
It isn't like I am obsessed with Sophia's dying. It is just it seems like a more real possibility than before. I should have understood this as a possibility all along. We are all going to die sometime and there is really no way to know when. Sophia will die also and there is no way to know if it will be soon or much later. I know this. Really I do. I completely accept both the inevitability and unpredictability of death. I even see it as an integral part of living.
In the past I mostly contemplated impermanence in relation to my own life. It was seen as this ever looming specter that could strike at anytime taking full advantage of my procrastination and thus not allowing me to complete the purpose of my life. I have literally spent hours with this contemplation and I accept the inevitability and unpredictability of my own demise.
What I have trouble accepting and understanding is how to accept Sophia's life being brought to a premature conclusion. She hasn't had the opportunity to understand the purpose of her life. She is lacking the volition and instruction to realize the potential of her precious existence.
Perhaps, this is pointless worry. In fact, I know this type of worry and speculation is useless. And as I write these words, I realize the gifts I have received from Sophia. She has been an essential component in helping me discover the wisdom and compassion that is essential to the latent good in each and everyone of us.
Maybe, it isn't necessary she purposefully direct her life. After all, she is reflexively loving and kind. She almost instinctively accepts her situation and rarely protests or complains. She has patience that far exceeds that of most children her age. And without revealing too much parental bias, she seems to have a real wisdom about her. Honestly, she has taught me so much more than I will ever be able to teach her.
Though I cannot validate any overall usefulness of worry, I felt it was somewhat useful in illustrating the thoughts and feelings of at least this CHD parent. I don't think parents of healthy children have to face so directly the possibility of losing their children. Because of the conspicuousness of Sophia's mortality, I am compelled to make the most of the time I have with her. And, to the best of my abilities, I avoid doing anything that could give rise to regret. I would never wish our situation on anyone else, but I willingly accept it. And perhaps through this blog, others can learn from our experiences without having to face the hardships directly.
Comments:
I enjoyd this blog Michael. I know that after my experience with Jacob I change a lot. I took my children much less for granted and I began to hug them just a little longer before they left for school. Before Jacob all of my kids were healthy, the possibility of loosing one never really crossed my mind and Jacob was a dose of reality and lesson that anything can happen anytime. I take much less for granted now, I stop and smell the flowers, and jump in a lot more puddles with the kids. And, I enjoy learning all the wonderful things my four kids have to teach me. :)
 
You have a wonderful gift of putting your thoughts into words. I believe that we are forced to think about the what if's and that makes us value each second. You put that Sophia has more patience than most children her age, if she has any patience I would say you are right! What a gift for such a small one to have, especially for one who has to go through so much. These children have taught us so much.
 
hey man.

We're finally starting to get settled, and i found my way back to your blog. I'm sorry the news from the cath wasn't good, and if theres anything we can do from afar other than sending our thoughts, let me know.
stay up.

-sA
 
Wow. Michael, in expressing your thoughts and emotions, you've expressed mine as well. Quite eloquently at that. Of course I can never know exactly how you or Patty feel as parents, that is beyond my comprehension. All I know is how I am feeling as your friend. As Sophia's friend, her "auntie".

I cannot thank you and Patty enough for allowing me to build the relationship that I have with your precious daughter. She is, and will always be, one of my greatest teachers. The ambivalent feelings are overwhelming as you know. You want to mourn and sink into a depression, yet you want to celebrate and enjoy her and have hope. At least that is how I have fluctuated quite a bit lately.

As with this past year of her life, I will be there. Whatever the three of you need, you know I'm here. I'm always 5 minutes away. I love you guys!

Viva Sophia! Kenna
 
Thanks for sharing, Michael. After Joseph's first terrifying weeks, I felt so blessed to have learned so many wonderful lessons: how not to take anyone's health for granted, to live in the moment and make the most of everyday, how to be truly thankful.... After time, I can start to forget those things, thanks for reminding me.
 
Thanks for sharing, Michael. You put into words many of the thoughts and feelings that I can't seem to express to others. In the 10 weeks that I've been with Brayden, he has taught me many things -- including the fact that we should embrace life and treasure every moment that we have with our children.
 
i used to practice preemptive mourning. needless to say i was a very miserable individual. but monkey has taught me the very simple practice of appreciating things as they are. part of of wants to scream & hide from the fact that this beautiful little teacher herself is impermanent, but i just look at her & know i have to stop & be here now because that's all i can give her. my love. viva sophia!
 
It is incomprehensible that Sophia could leave us. I know it is unrealistic to believe that a child with such a serious heart defect has a chance of living to the age of 70 or 80 yrs but, I want her to enjoy a happy and healthy life, I want to be able to share with her the joys of the outside, like flowers and birds and parades and picnics, the beach in Florida and just going shopping and to lunch with her Granny. I want to make her dresses and jammies and rock her to sleep and feed her spaghetti o's
and sing her silly songs and make her laugh and get lots of her sloppy kisses and tickle her feet and growl at her and share her binky, I want it all because I love her so and she is such a joy to me and her Grandpa Bob.
 
I think that the thing everyone here has commented about is how they've learned to appreciate life and stop taking it for granted. Maybe that is what our heart babies are sent here to do, to teach us those lessons, regardless of how long they live.

I do feel partially responsible for the "sudden" preoccupation with the possibilities. I have managed -through Nova's story- to unwittingly bring those possibilities to the forefront for other parents who read.

I'm sorry to have done that for you in any way.

Sophia is so much older and stronger - and she's already made it through the original surgery, realistically, her chances are much better now than they were the first time around.

Unfortunately, that doesn't change the worry and concern you're feeling - and no one can blame you for being afraid for her, or for yourself. That's what we do as parents, worry -and you're obviously such a kind-hearted wonderful parent. Of course you're afraid, just don't forget to remember the hope and positive thoughts... we're all sending them your way.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

website free tracking