Monday, May 01, 2006

 

Doctor's Visit and the Miracle Phlebotomy

We went to see the pediatrician today. Sophia had developed a rash around her G-tube and we were concerned it didn't seem to be getting better.
He said it was likely a skin infection and prescribed a couple of creams to apply to it.
We also had to go the lab to have some blood drawn in order to get an allergy test done. The lab is usually a very traumatic experience for Sophia, especially at the hospital. This was not at the hospital but in the same building as her pediatrician.
Patty went to the same lab in order to get blood testing during her pregnancy. I think she had three glucose tolerance tests, which require several periodic blood draws. She raved about how skilled the lab tech at this lab was at drawing blood. Sophia and Patty both are very difficult to "stick", be it for blood tests, IVs, etc. Patty always insisted this guy was the best.
So, we get there and it is the same guy. He immediately recognizes my wife and cannot believe how big Sophia is. He is a really nice person. He checks Sophia's left arm and unsatisfied he decides to check the right. He finds a good vein in the right and decides he will use it. He gets his stuff ready, has me hold her arm, and slips the needle in. He hits the vein first time and Sophia doesn't even flinch. He drew about 6mLs of blood and Sophia never cried.
Now, I have talked about how patient and tolerant Sophia is. But this was something else. Sophia has been through a lot and can put up with a lot. This was nothing short of miraculous. Not even a whimper.
So, we are going to contact the social worker at the children's hospital, and make sure we get all her pre-op labs done at this lab. No more techs that dig around in her like they are fishing termites out of a giant mound.
This guy is to become our personal phlebotomist.
Comments:
I can vouch for the trauma Sopia goes through each and every time blood is drawn. When Michael told me about this event I was shocked.
The last time blood was drawn at the Children's Hosp the technician poked her 5 or 6 times and bent her foot so far back I knew it was painful. No more of that pain for our little sweetheart, they have found the perfect phlebotomist. Thank goodness for small gifts.
 
Wish we lived closer so we could go to him too!!! They always have a horrible time drawing blood or giving IV's to Evan and I. I think that would ease my mind knowing he could do it that easy. I always feel sick when I know I or Evan have to have blood drawn b/c I know there will be alot of poking.
 
We've run into some "termite fishers" that you mentioned, not fun :( It's so great to hear that Sophia won't have to go through that -- at least the pre-op will be a little easier on Sophia.
 
Jacob had to have his blood drawn for just routine things at the time of his year exam. The gal was definitely fishing. The amazing thing to me was that Jacob just sat there and took it. He didn't sceam and fight like he does for his RSV shot, he just sat there like it was nothing.

I'm glad you found someone that makes Sophia comfortable though, that is important. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

website free tracking