Saturday, June 03, 2006

 

Finally Home...

We are finally home. The discharge process took forever.
Her doctor released her first thing this morning. But since he does not have the authority to write orders in this particular hospital, we have to wait for the resident assigned to Sophia to do it. Her cardiologist still directs all her care but through the resident.
It did not help, we had the most incompetent nurse we have ever met. All of our nurses until this morning were perfectly good. But the this morning was bad.
I is my thought, based on the number times we have done this, the degree of care your child requires dictates the competency of the nurse assigned to your child. The best nurses are reserved for the kids that need the most care. I guess this is understandable. But shouldn't they all at least be competent.
Let me explain.
Our nurse went to the wrong wing this morning upon reporting to work. She is called a "floater" and I can understand she may have been confused about where to report. But, not only did she report to the wrong place. She took report on all the kids in the other wing before they went looking for her where she was supposed to be, which was caring for Sophia.
Once she got where she was supposed to be she had to, of course, get Sophia's vitals. This took forever . Now, we have seen this process a multiplicity of times and it should have been a quick process.
Then when we asked for some more diapers for Sophia, she brought us size 1 diapers. Now we have had nurses bring the wrong size diapers before. But, these were newborn diapers.
She also came into our room multiple times looking for stuff she had misplaced.
I don't know what the deal was. I was just glad Sophia didn't really need a nurse this morning or we would have been screwed.
I think it took about 10 requests to get Sophia's IV removed. This, however, could have been because nurses hate to discontinue IVs. I am surprised they have not resorted to having the security desk at the exit of the hospital remove them just before you get to your car. I know it is a lot easier to keep an IV than start another one. But when someone is being discharged, I think its time to lose the IV. Luckily, we mentioned the monitors to her cardiologist this morning and he shut them off. We removed her leads after he was gone.
In the future, I may feel compelled to discontinue her monitors and take out her IVs myself. It was obvious the only reason it hadn't happened was either they hadn't got to it, or the resident hadn't got around to ordering it.
Anyway...I don't mean to paint our stay as negative. They always take good care of us. And we were glad to see the nurses we have had during previous stays. I just think we are used to a higher standard of treatment. The CHD and transplant patients always get special care. But as they get closer to discharge and get shuffled to the bottom of the priority list, I start wondering what an average child's stay must be like.
We are glad to be home.
We go back for the open-heart surgery on the 15th.
But as long as we keep making progress, we can bear the difficultly associated with all of this.
Thanks again for everyone's support.
P.S. I posted some photos on the previous hospital posts form the last couple of days.
Comments:
Too bad you had a not so great nurse today:(. Glad you're home, though. Those pictures are sooooo cute! Sopohia is such a little woman of strength, she is a constant encouragement to me.
 
So glad you guys are home and I'm sure that is making Sophia feel even better. Sorry to hear about the nurse. We too also have received excellent care/nurses but, for the last cath. stay we got the "newbie" nurse and yeah, guess we got a taste of the not so serious stay.
 
I'm glad you guys were released and are home to settle for a while before the surgery.

That picture of Sophia sleeping with you is absolutely gorgeous by the way. She's so adorable.
 
Welcome home! We will be praying that surgery goes well, and following the updates closely. I enjoyed the pics. She is a beautiful girl. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

website free tracking