Saturday, June 24, 2006

 

Surgery Scheduled

So we have scheduled surgery.

As I explained in a previous post, Sophia has to have the right ventricle-to-pulmonary artery conduit from her last surgery replaced, as it has developed a pseudoaneurysm. This is a outpouching of blood caused by a partial rupture of the interior walls of the PA (pulmonary artery) conduit. There is no bleeding as at least one of the layers of the arterial wall is intact. In images from the cath, the pseudoaneurysm is as large as the ventricle itself. And there is an obvious risk of it rupturing.

During surgery there will also be an attempt to place a stent in the left pulmonary artery, as it is narrowed in the same way the right was prior to its stenting in the cath lab. There is also the possibility there will be a surgical option to repair this narrowing. However, the surgeon and her cardiologist will make the call in the operating room as to which is the best course of action. It should be noted, this surgery will likely leave the VSD intact. So we will still need at least one more major surgery.

Sorry for any confusion caused by my use of technical jargon. I just thought it was important to remind everyone why surgery is necessary at this time. Please, if you have questions, put them in the comments section of this post I will be glad to answer them if I can.

So here are the dates.
On June 30th, we will have Sophia's pre-op screening. This is always a long day for some reason and Sophia almost always gets ill from exposure to all the hospital germs. We are going to do our best to isolate her from any contact with possible causes of illness by keeping her in her stroller and possibly having her wear a mask. We'll see. We have postponed several procedures in the past for this reason. So this will be very important.

Next, on July 4th, we have to take Sophia in to have labs drawn. This is necessary for anesthesia to get a base line of her blood chemistry, I think.

Finally, the actual surgery will be on July 5th. As far as I know, she is the only surgery on the surgeon's schedule. So my guess...it will be a long day.

I will obviously post updates to the blog as I am able.
Comments:
Well, I suppose there's some relief in having a definite date, along with the obvious worries.

Hope she stays well and doesn't have to be put off again... sounds like the mask may be worth it, if you can keep it on her!

You guys are on my mind, as always.
 
Well, I'm glad it's all re-scheduled, now you guys just have to ramp back up for it. . . I will be praying for Sophia & I really hope that she can stay well. Also, I will pray that by some miracle they are able to close the VSD during this surgery so that you guys can take a break for a while.
 
I'm glad you've got some dates, for me it is always harder to have things just looming ahead with out knowing when.

I will be on vacation in Utah during Sophia's surgery, and I will not have access to a computer (most likely, I might be surprised) while I am there. I won't be able to check in and leave comments, but she will be in my thoughts and prayers the entire time.
 
It is with a heavy heart that I await this date, I know it is a necessary surgery but it still hurts me so badly to see her suffer.
She is Grandma's girl and I would do this for her if I could.
I am having knee surgery on the 18th and if she is still in the hospital I will expect someone to wheel me to her bedside so I can give her kisses to make her better.
As always myself and all my friends will be praying for a miracle.
 
The mask is a good idea, we have entertained that thought as well, even letting him color it the day before to make it seem fun somehow, definately worth it if it keeps her well for the surgery! Will be praying for Sophia, the doctors and the family on the 4th (yes, pre-op day is long) and the 5th!
 
Hi,

My prayers are with all of you. Just a question : why cant hey remedy the VSD at the same time?
 
They cannot close the VSD because the pressures in the pulmonary arteries would be to high, causing the heart to work too hard. This would eventually cause the heart to enlarge. The VSD is like a relief valve for the extra pressre.
 
Do you think Sophia will be able to stay up late enough on the 4th to see the fireworks? Perhaps the beauty of the colors will remind you all of how beautiful life is.
 
I have a lump in my throat right now thinking about how you're feeling. I know it too well. Part of me wishes they would have needed to do his surgery this weekend after the scare - the waiting is so hard.

Please know that we keep Sophia in our thoughts all the time, and that if there's anything we can do, just say the word.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

website free tracking