Wednesday, July 05, 2006

 

Surgery? Check. Now The PICU...


What a terrifying day. We are settled into the PICU now. For those of you out there who have gone through similar surgeries it should be noted that rather than going to recovery after surgery at Children's Mercy the cardiac kids go straight to the ICU from the OR.
I will try to summarize the surgery. As you may know if you have been following the updates today, Sophia was on bypass and her repair was pretty much complete at around lunchtime. However when she came off bypass, it became evident there was a thinning in the muscle wall of the right ventricle. This was evident in the echo because it ballooned out as the heart pumped the blood to the lungs. So, this was the reason she went back on bypass the first time. The surgeon removed the thin weaker tissue and gathered the stronger tissue together and patched and reshaped the ventricle to work more efficiently. Then she came off bypass again and started bleeding. As I noted in the last post, this was likely caused by the combination of the many suture holes in the hard to suture muscle of the heart and the sort of general leakiness caused by being on bypass. This bleeding was never isolated but slowed enough to get her off bypass a third and final time.
So summarizing, this surgery should have been completed by early afternoon. But due to complications went on until early evening.
I know I have been tossing this word bypass around. For those of you unfamiliar with what heart/lung bypass is here is a link with more information. Only the beginning couple of sections are relevant to Sophia's surgery but I think it explains the process used to stop the heart in order to perform surgery.
There are many possible post operative complications associated with being on bypass for a long time and especially like this where Sophia was taken off and put back on bypass three times. First, in order to account for swelling and/or fluid leaking into the chest cavity, Sophia's chest was left open.
There will also be a great deal of attention paid to her blood pressures and chemistry. And she will likely have a lot of bloody drainage from her chest drains. I will keep you posted as things change with her recovery.
Somehow with all the time we have spent in the ICU, this part feels more familiar and consequently less stressful. But, we all know that can change.
Thanks for everyone's support. We had many family and friends here at the hospital. And all the comments on the blog mean a bunch to us.
Comments:
What a rollercoaster! I do understand what you mean about the familiarity of your surroundings. Strange isn't it, to feel so comfortable in what others think of as a clearly "alien" place.

Glad you guys are settling in for the night and that Sophia can now rely on the wonderful nurses who do the after care, they're a speial and talented lot.
 
I am sorry things changed and they are having to leave her chest open for a bit. I hope it drains well and she can be closed up and on to healing more tomorrow. Thanks, as always, for keeping us so updated.
 
Hey, she looks great! Not all swollen, chest looks like it's draining well (not all clotty or anything, and look - she's peeing, that's always a good sign!

haha I keep trying to scroll up further on the picture and check her numbers!

Hope you guys get the chance to rest.
 
Baby girl you look like an angel! I hope your mom and dad can feel some peace tonight and rest. I'll see you tomorrow!
 
Hi Guys....
Just came in from the gym and Sunfresh; saw the new Superman movie tonight. When all this is over and you're home, try to go see it (I'll baby sit if you need me to!) I thought it was good, better than the others I think!
How wonderful to see our sweet girl on the bed at PICU, knowing she's finally out of surgery. What a "terrible day" (I agree!) with all those kinks in the plan you had to face...It must have been like landing in Holland, the luggage is out of reach and they won't even let you off the plane yet!
I am SO sorry this has been so hard; I just love you 3 and care very much and am SO happy she is doing better.
Look forward to seeing you tomorrow night.
LOVE, Barbara
 
You don't know me but I've been keeping tabs on Sophia's surgery from other blogs (Brayden Boy, etc)....glad to hear she is out of surgery. My prayers are still with you all as she recovers... bless her little heart.
 
Thanks for posting the pic -- she looks great for all that she has been through! I am still praying for her and for you guys!!
 
Thanks for the updates - you do a great job of explaining things. She looks really good and I'm hoping she had a good night and mommy and daddy got a little rest.
 
Thanks for the updates - you do a great job of explaining things. She looks really good and I'm hoping she had a good night and mommy and daddy got a little rest.
 
Sophia is a tough girl. We're thinking of you all and will pray for no more bumps in the road!
 
All I wanted was a picture of my sweet Grandbaby. Like Michael and Patty I feel so good about the wonderful care Sophia gets ICU, our favorite nurse, BETH is with her for the next 2 days and we know she is ever present and ever watchful of our little girl. Hope to see baby today
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

website free tracking