Wednesday, September 20, 2006

 

Edits and Advice

As many of you who read the blog on a regular basis know, I posted a few rants about some of the doctors we encountered during Sophia's last hospital stay.
In retrospect, it seems posts like these are counter-productive in regards to the purpose of this blog and as a consequence I have removed my questionable commentary from the previous posts.
I started this blog in an attempt to help other parents of children with CHDs who may find benefit in reading about our experiences.
If someone goes in to a situation with a prejudices caused by my flaming, they will be no more prepared than if they go in completely uninformed.
It is most important that a parent remain aware and open-minded when dealing with doctors and nurses. We are the most important advocate our child has. If we are not both aware AND open-minded, we cannot make the best decisions in regards to their health.
I will just say this. Pay attention to all the choices the professionals make. Ask lots of questions. Even if you are not medically trained (as we are not). Reasonable adults, with a little bit of effort, can understand any treatment a doctor proposes. If the treatment still seems inappropriate after it has been explained to you in a way you understand, explain why you think it is inappropriate. Just because they are professionals doesn't mean they have always thought of everything.
In the end, with enough discussion, all of the issues we had during this last hospitalization were resolved. If however we had not spoke up, Sophia's health may have suffered before the problem was recognized.
I hope I didn't paint too negative a picture of the hospital or it's staff in my previous posts, which have now been edited. We are thankful for both the hospital and its staff and I meant no harm.
I must however acknowledge, we really missed Dr. O'Laughlin. It is so helpful to have someone you know and trust advocating for your child's benefit. We really learned the degree to which we depend on him during this experience.
Thanks for ALL your advice Dr. O'Laughlin.
Comments:
What you painted was a perfectly honest picture of the frustrations involved in having a child in the hospital, and the concerns involved in having a 'heart baby.'

I think it's important that as parents we realize that we don't have to go on blind trust, we have the right to question and discuss with the doctors what our thoughts, idea, and concerns are. Too many people don't realize that they not only have that right, but that often, doctor's welcome it, if for no other reason than it reassures them that the parents are thinking and involved and concerned about their child.
 
I agree with Erin. And while I understand why you edited the posts that dealt directly with your frustrations, I appreciate this post because it still lets parents know that they need to be involved and educated, and not be afraid to speak up if something isn't right.

I had to, that was when they realized that Jacob's lungs had collapsed (the day nurse hadn't really noticed that his breathing was growing labored and his color was looking off, then I noticed a big difference and said something as the shift took place and the night nurse came on).

We know our kids best, if something doesn't seem right we HAVE to speak up. :)
 
erin-
I agree completely with your comment. my frustration was sincere. and though i believe in this blog being an honest an open account of my thoughts and feelings as a parent of a child with a CHD, i felt it was irresponsible to direct my frustration at individuals in such a specific way in a public forum. it really isn't my style and so i removed the questionable parts of the posts in an attempt to avoid relieving myself in the same place i dine. if you know what i mean.
thanks for your insight.
 
Long gone are the days when doctors were reveered as Gods and patients had no say. We all need to be active participants in our care and especially the care our children receive. It is not just accepted now, it is expected. I would guarantee that your knowledge of your daughter's health is far superior to any health care professional who only sees her for one or two issues.
 
As a parent of a cardiac baby and spending a total of 6 months in the ICU and two open heart surgeries ... I have seen with my own two eyes what can happen if you don't pay very close attention to everything .... from the nurses to the doctors themselves. Especially when the doctors would change shifts. I noticed quite of bit of lack of communication... My husband used to keep a notepad in his back pocket and document everything.. it came in handy numerous times.
I spent approx 18 hours a day in the ICU w/ Matthew and I can't count the times I was so thankful I was there! I feel that I have saved him from un~needed blood tests and needle sticking!

I was never afraid to speak up to the docs... (mostly b/c they were soooo kind and seemed glad we were so involved) in fact ... a few times they would come in and call me Dr. King!

Oh... I dread the day we need to go back into the hospital. It is so stressful.

Terri King
www.whomagoo.blogspot.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

website free tracking