Monday, September 11, 2006

 

Hospital Day 2 and Some Digeorge Stuff


We have been sent to the step-down floor. Sophia is pretty uncomfortable with her ear infections. She is still on a little bit of O², but it is just minimal. Her sats are hanging in the 80s with the oxygen. Her x-ray may be showing some pneumonia, but it has been my experience at this stage of the game to not lend too much credence to chest x-rays, as there interpretation is so subjective. From what I have observed, Sophia is improving. She ate about a cup of oatmeal this morning. I am hoping we can switch from IV fluids to PO (g-tube) fluids. She has tolerated her meds and what food we have been able to give her. She has not had any wet diapers other than the normal "wow, that's full" diapers she has right after her lasix. But according to her nurse she isn't behind on her output as of yet. She has some diarrhea but hasn't had much output there either.

We talked to immunology which is one of the areas that has been overlooked with Sophia's Digeorge treatment. Because there is apossibilityy of immune dysfunctionassociatedd with her syndrome, she should have had her immune response checked as a routine precaution. This has never been done. The scary part of that is that Sophia has received some live vaccines as part of her normal vaccinations. If she has immunity issues, this could have been a serious problem. Anyway the test requires a sizeable blood draw (about 20ccs or 4 tsps). It is sent to National Jewish Medical in Colorado (..I think). Anyway it takes a while to get back. I will let you know the results when we get them (probably about a month).

The other issue we are going to get checked while we are here is an unusual one. Sophia has what is called a "sacral dimple". Based on what I have read, at least 2% of the population have them. It is a small divot just above her butt at the base of her spine. Most of these are shallow and completely harmless. But in some cases, they can be quite deep and may be an indicator of neurological or spinal issues. We do not yet know what the situation with Sophia's is, as she has never had it checked out properly. But we are concerned about it because it has developed a callus-like growth in and around it and may have some drainage. Anyway, we are going to have them do an ultrasound of the area and try to determine if it is anything we need to be concerned with.

These are just a couple of the issues that have either been overlooked or qualified as lowpriorityy while Sophia was being actively treated for her heart defect. Hopefully we will get some answers. I encourage anyone who has a child with a heart defect to get genetic testing done to rule out any underlying syndrome and make sure that someone is following your child regarding other possibleanomaliess associated with possible genetic problems. I know we have had spotty care at best in this area.

It should be noted that Sophia is also being followed by an endochrinologist, as there are issues with calcium levels in kids with Digeorge syndrome.

I will try to write more about this aspect of Sophia's health in the future. I too had prioritized it behind the immediate cardiac concerns. But it is an important subject as many CHD kids have other genetic issues that require attention.

Edit: The additional issues listed above (immunology, sacral dimple...) are issues we were going to address in upcoming clinic visits. However, since we are already in the hospital...we insisted they be checked now. In other words, these are things we decided should be checked out. They are things her doctors had overlooked.
Comments:
Wow, that is a lot to take in. She goes in for her ears and then another twist in the road. I hope you find the answers that you seek and that Sophia is up and around real soon.
 
DiGeorge was something they suspected with both my children, so I'm vaguely aware of some of the issues, but I have to admit I'd never heard of the sacral dimple. I think I'll do some more research.

Anyway, I hope you can get the information you're looking for. Glad you're willing and able to be proactive about your concerns. Some parents are so intimidated that they don't feel they have the right to do so. Sophia's a lucky little chicky with parents like you two.
 
I've heard about the dimple thing. Isn't a tethered spinal cord also associated with that and can lead to walking issues etc. Sometimes it's good to be at CMH just so you can check out other possible issues instead of letting things get out of hand.
 
I again marvel at Michael and Patty's "git ur done" attitude.
They amaze me by being such strong advocates of their little girls well being.
The Sacral Dimple is a family trait and has never been an issue before. I am sure there is nothing wrong with looking into this trait as it is relatively rare.
When you have an opportunity to check everything you should go for it. Doctors are only capable of so many questions, it is up to the caregivers to ask those unanswered questions that arise when parents are with the child 24/7.
I agree with the other person that said "Sophia is the luckiest little girl to have such alert and caring parents" they are the best.
I am so proud of their parenting skills and the way they fell into their roles so acceptingly.
I love them all so much
 
Still praying for Sophia, mom & dad. She's a tough little cookie....hang in there.
 
hey guys, i haven't logged on in forever, the internet has been screwy here. but i was thinking of you all tonight, and i can't believe i am logging on to this!! i didn't expect to see her in the hospital. i hope she gets to feeling better, i hate to hear that she is sick or uncomfortable. poor lil sweetie. she'll be in my prayers, as always.

p.s. i love the gait trainer!! what a cool new toy! and what about those curls!! she reminds me of olivia... they'll get to see each other in a few weeks, hopefully. we are planning to come back around oct.1. talk soon!!

love,
jana
 
Hey, Michael -- thanks so much for writing about the Digeorge stuff! Thanks also for the advice on the immunologist and endochrinolgist. The possible immune deficiency is something that I am taking very seriously, and Bray has also had some live virus vaccinations that we probably would have avoided if we had known what we are doing. That may be why we are dealing with the latent TB infection right now.

It is a sad fact, but a very true one, that we as parents really have to push to advocate for our children. We're still fairly new to all of this, but I've already seen time and again were drs want to "overlook" or dismiss issues that are not of an immediate concern. I will agree with the others, Sophia is a very blessed girl to have parents who are willing to take on the responsibility of ensuring that she gets TOTAL care :)
 
Glad that you guys are on top of things (as always) and getting tests needed done while your there at the hospital. I will be praying about the results and the physicians treating Sophia.
 
I hope you get some answer about some of these 'minor' things. Wow a month for test results seems like forever, I hope the results are good.
 
I was just e-mailing Suz, that I start each day at work with 'wisdomheart'. I missed a couple of days...............OH MY LORD. I am so sorry that you are back in the hospital. I am so glad that you are being pro-active about the issues you discussed. I have a good friend that is a breast cancer survivor and she has truly educated me about asking questions and reading and googling. Somtimes I think my CPU is going to start asking for a 25 cent deposit:)As always, I am praying.
 
So sorry to hear she's back in the hospital...it's hard to see her with the tube in her nose again after so many healthy and happy pictures. Praying for a speedy recovery so she can get back to having fun and learning new things.

Cousin Keri in Colorado
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

website free tracking